Dandruff is detected by the itchy and flakiness of the scalp. You can always check with your dermatologist to identify the problem and for remedies that help cure it. You may not even have dandruff; your current hair product including shampoo and conditioner could be irritating your scalp. So, try switching your product first to a non-dandruff fighting shampoo and conditioner. See if the flakiness goes away. Stress can be a main cause for dandruff, so make sure that you try relaxing techniques daily to reduce your stress level.
1. Shampoo Shampoo your natural hair hair with warm to cool water. Try a mild shampoo for a few weeks, and if you do not see any results, use an anti-dandruff shampoo. You should notice improvement in 4-6 weeks.Avoid alcohol based products, or any other styling products until the dandruff subsides. Instead use a leave-in conditioner to maintain shape.
2. Aloe Vera You need to soothe your scalp because it is red and irritated, so try Aloe Vera. Rub the gel onto the scalp and keep it on overnight and cover your hair with a bonnet. Be sure to replace your pillowcase.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Try pouring two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and fresh lemon juice onto a cotton swab and rub into your scalp. You can apply two to three times week.
4. Coconut Oil Coconut Oil for natural hair is a mild and soothing choice in relieving dandruff. You can chill it and work it through your hair. Apply two to three days a week. After a few weeks the dandruff should be gone.
5. Herbal You can use various herbs including ginger, rosemary, tea or thyme. You can combine ginger and rosemary with olive oil, separately inside a applicator bottle and rub onto the scalp. Tea can be made and then rubbed into the hair and shampooed. The oil from Thyme is an antiseptic and can be boiled and left on your natural hair.
You can also try to eliminate dandruff from the inside out. Cut back on junk food, or eliminate it completely from your diet. Also, include more fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water. If the dandruff problem persists, or any of these remedies make the problem worse discontinue and seek medical attention. You want to be sure it is in fact dandruff you are seeking. If it is another skin condition, it will be treated using different remedies.